[pct-l] No Olallie Lake Resort resupply

mattjolley at comcast.net mattjolley at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 20:15:45 CDT 2008

I too called the Clackamas District Forest service office in Estacada.

They indicated the resort owner needs to bring some things up to some codes.
The 2007 resort web page indicates they were looking for plumber and electrician.

The Forest Service also said the second permit/contract the resort has to maintain and collect fees for a group of campgrounds has been terminated.

My guess is some politics are going on here.   Maybe someone did not like the porch steps falling
apart.

This year's snow levels complicate all of this,  not sure when the road will be clear,  late June or
 sometime in July is one guess.    The resort is at 5000 feet,  the PCT and the north ridge of Jefferson Park is about 6900 ft.

Now in 1999 the weather station at 4800 feet at Mckenzie Pass reports the melt finished about July 13,  with peak snow level 80 inches.   This year the station has stopped working in May,  but the
snow depth is similar to 1999.

At Irish Taylor  at 5500 feet the "snow depth"  has gone from 120 to 76 inches the last 30 days,
the "snow water equivalent"  from 51.4  to 35.2 inches.    In recent years that has taken 25 to 35 days to melt.