[pct-l] July 29, New Plumas NF fire Rich Bar Incident closes Hwy 70 between Belden, Quincy

mattjolley at comcast.net mattjolley at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 02:02:44 CDT 2008

Hwy 70 closed hard.
This is about 4 miles East of Belden and about 13 miles West of Quincy.
Fire Fighters from the Canyon Fire redirected this afternoon to Serpentine Canyon area in
  Feather River canyon,  fire was on both sides of Hwy 70.

 Concern about rapid spread past 80 acres size this PM.

http://www.plumasnews.com/

Re  Plumas NF closures.

 Yes I am  a little concerned about potential downwind areas after examples such as the
  Panther fire near Yosemite this week,  going to 26,000 acres in about one day,  or
  fires running up the canyons.

  The PNF Canyon fire complex did not reach the PCT from the fire maps in the Plumas NF,
  so once
  things settle down,  there does not have to be the hazard analysis and removal such as
  is taking place just North in the Lassen NF where the PCT was in the middle of the fire.

  The still closed area border was apparently made for the ease of the Plumas NF,  since
  the PCT meandered into the closed Forest Disctrict a few hundred yards at most.
  But later,  the fire was within a mile or two of the PCT in that area south of the wilderness,
  and the PCT was closed at the closest paved road much farther away.
  Perhaps the closure orders in this case were not aggressive enough at the worst time,
  and too conservative at others.

  PCT hikers did report the fire being very close in the Buck Lakes Wilderness earlier.

  Matt

From: "AsABat" <AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net>