[pct-l] John Muir Trail ,,travel plans and big trees

Stuart Dodson stuart at dodson22.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 13:33:22 CDT 2008

Hi, I am new to the list and am hiking the JMT arriving 22nd August next. I
have posted on the Trailforum website but it seems to be down at the moment
or its me doing something wrong so my request for more info has not been
posted. Below is the gist of it. Briefly I would like some help about buying
supplies and arranging a maildrop in San Francisco or Merced before going to
Yosemite.

Last info request

My guide book says that the post office in Merced is closed on Saturdays-
when I will be there. It goes on to say I could use a firm called Mail
Boxes,etc--.can I do priority mail thru them? see below .I amplanning to
send a food drop to Muir Trail Ranch but as they do not collect after 15th
Sept I therefore needed to send by Priority Mail to ensure it gets there
before me. Bearing all this in mind am I better arranging things in San
Francisco, not Merced ,as no doubt there will be a post office open in San
Francisco. I did not want to send to earlier places as I might get there
before them? I do intend to go to VVR and Independence maybe Mammoth if that
helps with resupply comments. Re the big trees- there is Redwood grove in
Toulumne/ Crane Flats I am searching info on that but would welcome any
local knowledge. Is that anywhere near the trail. I have a flight booked
east 19th September from LA so I have allowed a fair bit of time to organise
food /permits but want to start as soon as possible to get the best weather.
Thanks in advance

Travel plans and Big trees
I am fly to San Francisco on 22nd Aug arriving at the airport mid afternoon.
My plan is to go to Merced to buy supplies and arrange a mail drop and
travel next day to Yosemite. Will I be able to get to Merced on the day of
arrival. Or is there a better way to start? As a retired Arborist I do wish
to see the big trees (Sequoias)in the Park-how far off the trail are they,
will I see smaller Sequoias on the trail any way?

Phil  B's answer--Possible - but tough
The short answer is yes, you can get to Merced on the day you arrive but it
would be a really long day. Greyhound or Amtrak can get you out of San
Francisco late pm/early evening arriving at Merced maybe 9pm. Assuming you
are flying from England that will be almost 24 hours total travelling time.

I've done that trip a few times and have always stayed in San Francisco at
least one night. I have then either travelled to Merced for a night then
caught the early bus to Yosemite arriving mid morning, or gone direct from
SF to Yosemite leaving early morning, arriving early afternoon. Shopping for
supplies and mail drop can easily be sorted out whichever way you go.

Once you get to Yosemite, I'm afraid the Sequoias are a long way from the
trail. Its about 12+ miles from Yosemite village by road to the groves and I
don't think there is any public transport going that way. Once you start the
JMT you are heading away from them.

If you really want to see the Sequoias, how about renting a car at the end
of your hike to get back to the airport. You could see the Yosemite or
Sequoia/Kings Canyon trees and go to Muir Woods north of San Francisco for
the Redwoods.

Enjoy your trip.