[pct-l] Can one not use snow?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Jul 27 17:13:57 CDT 2008

Good afternoon,

Nice, clean snow can be a useful source of water however I won't stoop to
offering the old admonishment, "Don't eat yellow snow."  The biggest problem
with snow is that it requires quite a bit of heat energy to melt the stuff.
It's onerous in terms of precious fuel if you stop to fire-up the stove, and
it seems to take forever to just let it melt in the drinking bottle.

One common use I find is to scrape a few hand-fulls into a 1/2 to 3/4th
bottle of water just to cool it down and improve drinkability.   If you
don't have sufficient water in the jug the snow will make it into a
difficult-to-drink slush until it all melts.

So, if I'm walking on snowpack why do I want nice cool water?  This time of
year it could easily be hot walking over snow, and with reflection we get
baked on all sides.  Fine, then just peal off the clothes and enjoy the
sunshine with a bit of a cool breeze.  Maybe, but it's not uncommon to be
sweating hard struggling over snow while being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
It's just not fair, huh?

Steel-Eye