[pct-l] section hiking advice please

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 14:42:24 CDT 2008

Hi Janet -
I can't recommend any one area over any other, but I can recommend a book that really exemplifies the best of why Section Hiking is a great way to hike the PCT.  Indeed, it just might be a much better way to hike the trial rather then the vaunted "thru-hike".  I think that the deserts of S Cal, the Sierra's and the Cascades are all great hiking, but very different!

The book is : One Hundred Mile Summers: Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada by Eleanor Guilford.  Eleanor, who for some strange reason had a regular job, took off for a week or two each year for something like 20-years and hiked the entire trail.  She never started until, I think, she was in her 40's.  Great book and great hiker.

I notice it is for sale at Amazon, but it is also available through interlibrary loan at most libraries.

have fun, Kent