[pct-l] PCT Bear-Wallow fire closure near Etna enlarged July 23 Maybe Hwy 3 to Forest Hwy 93

mattjolley at comcast.net mattjolley at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 17:04:02 CDT 2008

PCT Bear-Wallow fire closure near Etna enlarged July 23.

I looked at maps some more,  and the apparent new closure is not connected to
 the old closure from  Sawyers-Bar  Etna Rd at Etna Summit through Marble Wilderness.

   Maybe  the additional effective closure will be from Hwy 3 to Forest Hwy 93
 also known as Cecilville Rd.  Only a few miles at either end are outside the wilderness area.

 Maybe the final closure order will be Trinity Alps  Wilderness Klamath NF area
 South of the PCT and the  PCT will remain open.

 You can read the gears grinding in the ONCC July 22 intelligence report where they talk
about coordinating closure with the Scott - Salmon  Ranger Ditrict.

 With 177 personel on the fire,  and the wildfire policy of  generally letting  natural caused
 fires burn in wilderness,  this is another fire that could grow for awhile.

 I calculate Joe and Scott are already beyond Forest Hwy 93.

 Matt