[pct-l] memory cards

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Sat Jul 19 14:15:40 CDT 2008

On 20/07/2008, at 4:51 AM, Dusty Wallace wrote:

> Has anyone ever had problems with memory cards? Using a Sony camera
> and had
> picts on memory card look at them in Redding and drove back to WA
> for two
> days, taking my time. Could heat have damaged it or what could have
> caused
> this???

Yes, memory cards can fail. With most micro-electronics heat is the
main enemy.  And possibly moisture. I haven't had a problem myself,
but my son, who does more hiking and photography than me, reports
problems with the cheaper brand I was buying.  He trusts SanDisk and
Kingston (YMMV, of course).

Are you using the same reader?  I don't know which card type you have,
but with SD cards there are driver incompatibilities, particularly if
you get above 2GB.  There is a chance that your card is ok, you are
just trying an incompatible card reader.

Denis Stanton
denisstanton at mac.com