[pct-l] Marble Mtns PCT Closure-Etna to Seiad Valley

Lawton Grinter lawtong at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 17:07:44 CDT 2008

Here's a repost of some Etna info for hikers while the trail is closed in the Marble Mtns.

From: lawtong at hotmail.comTo: pct-l at backcountry.netSubject: Marble Mtns PCT Closure-Etna to Seiad ValleyDate: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:44:10 -0600

Hi all,P.O.D. and I hiked into Etna Summit yesterday (7-12) to find the trail closed heading north out of Etna Summit.This fire was started on Friday July 11th and we were told that it has nothing to do with all the other fires burning in Cali that started from lightning.  The origin of the fire is not known at the moment and we were told that the forest service would update info on the fire and the trail closure on Tuesday July 15th.  Check withthe folks at Alderbrook Manor/Hiker Hut for current info as they seem to be in the know.We went to the Etna Brewery to mull all this over :) and found a notice on the wall in the brewery that gave info for PCT hikers on options they have in Etna while figuring out what to do.  Etna City Park is open and available for camping overnight free of charge while the trail is closed.Showers are available to hikers at the Etna City Pool (across from the Park) everyday but Sunday.Hikers can ride the Stage bus from Etna to Seiad Valley for a cost of $9.20.  The Stage Bus leaves Etna City Hallon Main Street bound for Yreka everyday at 6:45 AM, 12:22 PM and 3:12 PM.  The Stage Bus leaves Yreka bound for Seiad Mondays and Fridays only departing from Wal-Mart at 3:20 PM or from the Stage offices near the courthouse in Yreka at 3:27 PM.Current info is available by telephone at 530-462-1534 and apparently on inciweb.org which seems to be down every time I try to access it.Other lodging options in Etna are CCTG, HikerHut, and Motel Etna.This is our 3rd fire of the hike and it seems to be the norm at this point.  Hopefully Oregon will be fire-free but who knows.  Maybe not.  Regardless we keep on hiking!Best, Disco