[pct-l] Hiking boots inquiry

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 16 16:21:00 CDT 2008

Cliff wrote:

Good afternoon!  I've got some boots I was planning on hiking Philmont in,
but I've noticed that when I walk in them, my socks cause friction, heating
my feet.  Is that normal with boots?  Is there something I can get to
prevent that?  Also, are waterproof boots a bad idea for hiking?  Thanks for
answering a noobs questions!  Have a blessed day!

Footwear is a very individual subject; everyone's got something that works for them so you'll get all kinds of opinions, but something that works great for someone else may not work for you at all.

Some of the major factors to consider are these:

*  Are you intending to hike long distances?  If so, you might try running shoes or cross-trainers rather than boots, as many PCT thru-hikers do.  Less weight on your feet = less work.

*  Do you have weak ankles or other mechanical issues with your feet?  If so, you might want to stick with lightweight yet supportive boots (this is my personal situation).  It's possible to find boots with good ankle support that don't weigh a ton.

*  Are you hiking primarily in desert areas?  If so, you might consider footwear with a lot of ventilation to keep your feet as cool as possible.

*  Are you hiking primarily in the Pacific Northwest or other rainy places?  If so, you might consider footwear with waterproof membranes to keep your feet dry.  (This is my personal choice.)  Be aware, however, that waterproof footwear tends to take longer to dry if you do manage to get them wet inside.

Different footwear from different manufacturers (and even different models from the same manufacturer) have different shapes and so will fit different feet.  Someone may swear that a particular kind of boot is the most comfortable they've ever worn, and someone else may passionately hate them.  Odds are they have different foot shapes.

Your footwear shouldn't create a lot of sliding, rubbing, chafing, or hot spots on your feet.  If they are, then perhaps they're not well-suited for your foot shape, or maybe they're too large or too small.

Unfortunately, it's hard to give specific advice about how to determine if your footwear fits correctly over email.  It's something you tend to learn with experience.  If you don't have a lot of experience, one good strategy would be to find a knowledgeable outfitter in your area and have someone who knows what they're doing fit you.

Eric