[pct-l] Fire closures Quincy/LaPorte Road to Highway 36

Piper's Mom mrosendahl at digitalpath.net
Wed Jul 16 11:06:59 CDT 2008

>>I hope the FS knows that we don't camp..we walk - and can make it thru
>>tough sections.

I'm sure they do.  In this section (Lassen Natl Forest) one of the past
trail managers is a hiker herself, she and her whole family.  The issue, I
believe is one of safety.  Two of our 3 local roads offmountain to the west
are closed, one until September because the road is impassible due to fallen
boulders, logs, rock slides, brush and other impediments.  If the PCT has
been burned over some of the same issues will apply.  In southern sections
I've heard they've escorted hikers through burned sections (some hardly
worth the effort) but I have no idea if it's fiscally possible to do that
here, or even what condition the trail is in.  Also, it may be (just rumor)
that Cal Fire has been using the trail to get personnel in and out which
could create something of a traffic jam.  Y'all will just have to be
patient..

I'll be in Chester today (Wednesday 7/23) and tomorrow Thursday 7/24 from
1:30 to about 3.  I'll be looking for hikers who might be out on Main Street
between the bowling alley and Holiday Market.  We have room for 4 hikers at
a time (5 if my husband can do the pickups while I'm in PT.   If you're out
on the street, or on the highway to the west, we'll find you.

Piper's Mom