[pct-l] Hiking alone?

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Jul 15 14:37:11 CDT 2008

Louise Wholey wrote:
> On the trail Sunday I encountered Detour.  She had hiked hundreds of miles from Mexico alone without issues.  Initially she was apprehensive, but as time passed she felt growing confidence.
>

> I hope to hike the trail in the future, maybe 2011, probably alone.  I wonder how a solo hiker stays motivated.
>
> Louise

in this day and age, very very few pct thru-hikers manage to hike
"alone" in the literal sense. most of them are southbounders, and even
those folks will meet all the nobos along the way. there's just too many
hikers on the trail, and too narrow of a seasonal window to truly hike
the pct solo. even if you never formally partner up with anyone, you
won't be hiking "alone."

girlscout