[pct-l] Etna summit roadmap details - Please

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 09:26:35 CDT 2008

Matt,

You are correct, this road walk is definitely going to add some miles to the hike.  I suppose each person will make their choice as to what portion of the detour they might make.  A correction re: your mileage estimates;

Per the Forest Service Web Site:

Lovers Camp is located approximately 22 miles from Fort Jones. Travel 14 miles down the Scott River Road; turn left onto Forest Service Road 44N45 (paved road) and follow the signs for eight miles to the campground which is at the 4,300 foot elevation.  It is paved all the way to Lovers Camp.  The trail back up to Marble Station and the PCT is a nice scenic trail.  Sure, it is mostly uphill, but nothing extreme and very well marked.  I used this access trail when meeting Mr. D along the PCT in 2007.

You are correct that there is a Ranger Station at the intersection of Highway 3 and Scott River Road that will be able to provide any and all information.  This contact info is:

Scott River Ranger District
11263 N. Highway 3
Fort Jones, CA 96032-9702
(530) 468-5351

The choice that one will have in coming from Etna on Highway 3 is to take the Muggensville cut-off at Greenview which will connect with the Scott River Road about 3 miles west of Ft. Jones and the Ranger Station or continue on Highway 3 to Ft. Jones and than cut-off on Scott River Road.  The first option, mileage wise is shorter, but misses the Ranger Station and the small town of Ft. Jones.

Having grown up in this area I can say that these roads are not optimal for roadwalking.  The road down from Etna Summit is a narrow-winding mountain road.  Highway 3 between Etna and Ft. Jones is a two-lane highway, flat but minimal shoulder areas travelling through Scott Valley farm country.  The Scott River Road is a narrow-windy road that follows the river and has minimal shoulder.  The road up to Lovers Camp is up-hill, narrow and windy.  Minimal traffic, but you still need to be aware.

Keep in mind that Deems indicated that the fire has not yet reached the PCT.  In 2006 this Ranger District closed the PCT for a period of time due to heavy smoke, but reopened it after 5-10 days.  If it were me, I would definitely contact the Ranger District to get an update before making the decision to road walk.

Elevator

From: mattjolley at comcast.net