[pct-l] Cactus eaters

Randy Forsland randy_forsland at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:20:31 CDT 2008

I just finished reading "The Cactus Eaters" by Dan White and I found it to a great read. I had never heard of this book, but it was given to me as a present for my B'day. Dan White hiked the PCT in two seasons (92-93) with his then girlfriend Allison. Neither of them had much backpacking experience and their trip and their relationship suffered a bit from it. It was a true comedy of errors (as the title suggests)

I would recommend it to any novices that are thinking about hiking such a long trail. Be sure to try a few shorter hikes first to test out your gear and strategies first...

Redwood