[pct-l] Cottonwood to Kearsarge Pass

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 16:18:24 CDT 2008

On 9/07/2008, at 1:07 PM, Trainman-1 wrote:

> Cottonwood to Kearsarge Pass
>
> My buddy Hart and I will be going next week. Just a couple of quick
> Questions: any snow that could cause us problems? How about
> mosquitoes? Is
> There water available through this part of the trail? Any info is most
> Helpful and of course appreciated.
> Trainman,
> Glen

Hi Trainman

I can give you some outdated information.  I hiked approximately this
route at the beginning on June.  There was enough snow to slow me down
and cause me to lose the trail at a couple of points.  There were
almost no mosquitos.  I saw a few flying critters when I rested at
Rock Creek so I camped 100 yards away from the meadow and that solved
it.

I would expect that a month later the snow will be significantly less
of an issue.  You will probably see some on Forester Pass.  I didn't
have an ice-axe or crampons and this resulted in a couple of slips
that could have ended badly.  I doubt if you will have such problems
now.

I found plenty of water along the way.  I had to keep reminding myself
NOT to fill all three bottles at every opportunity as I found I was
arriving at the next nice stream with a lter and half to spare.  A
month later the snow melt will probably have reduced so you may be
safer to carry 2 liters.  I don't have the guide book so I had no
directions to off-trail water.

Below is a mail I sent to someone else.  It includes links to my
journal and a lot of photos of this route.  If you use Google Earth
you can use the file below to see the photos geo-located on the terrain.

Denis
Walks With Son
-------------------------------------

On 22/06/2008, at 5:25 AM, Phil Newhouse wrote:

> L-Rod,
>
> Will you be carrying crampons/ice axe for your departure north
> starting next
> friday?  What do you anticipate regarding snow on the trail?

Phil

I hiked Trail Pass to Kearsarge Pass starting 30 May, ending 4 June.
There was some snow on the trail, particularly on north-facing
descents into streams.  I didn't carry crampons or an axe.  Not needed
from Trail Pass to Crabtree Meadows.  Others I met intended going up
to Mt Whitney but abandoned the attempt above Guitar Lake because the
switchbacks to Trail Crest were lost in snow.  They had ice axes but
it still looked too hard.  Three weeks of snow melt may have changed
this.

North of Crabtree it was still easy going, with the snow patches being
annoying but not enough to justify extra gear.  I found Forester Pass
(June 3) to be a challenge without ice equipment.  I got through
mainly thanks to the footsteps left by others.  It would have been
wiser to have an ice axe.  I broke my hiking pole in an unsuccessful
attempt at self-arrest that could have ended badly.

For a visual report on trail condition check photos here
	http://web.mac.com/denisstanton/denis/2008_May_Chicken_Spring_Lake.html
and here
	http://web.mac.com/denisstanton/denis/2008_May_Rock_Creek.html
	http://web.mac.com/denisstanton/denis/2008_June_Crabtree_Meadows.html
	http://web.mac.com/denisstanton/denis/2008_June_Tyndall_Creek.html
	http://web.mac.com/denisstanton/denis/2008_June_Forester_Pass.html
	http://web.mac.com/denisstanton/denis/2008_June_Kearsarge_Pass.html

There are a number of photos of me grinning at the camera, but I think
the rest of the scenery makes up for that

Google Maps fans will find all 260 photos geo-located if they go here:
	http://maps.google.com/
and search for:
	http://stanton.net.nz/USA2008/USA2008.kml

For Google Earth, save the following lines as "USA2008.kml" (or
similar) and open with Google Earth.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
<NetworkLink>
	<name>USA2008</name>
	<open>1</open>
	<refreshVisibility>1</refreshVisibility>
	<flyToView>1</flyToView>
	<Url>
		<href>http://stanton.net.nz/USA2008/USA2008.kml</href>
		<refreshMode>onInterval</refreshMode>
		<refreshInterval>86400</refreshInterval>
	</Url>
</NetworkLink>
</kml>

Denis Stanton