[pct-l] thru backpack size

Hernandez hernand at magicriver.net
Wed Jul 9 15:20:07 CDT 2008

My son is a PCT thru hiker.  He started out in Campo with an Arc'teryx Bora 60 (not 50), and soon took a resupply trip to LA to exchange for a Gregory Z 55.  He had found the Bora 60 a very well made pack, but too large/heavy for his needs.

He used the new Gregory Z 55 from Kennedy Meadows through the Sierras all the way To Reds Meadow.  During that jaunt the Z 55's bottom fell out (!!!), which was amazingly well sewn with dental floss by a fellow PCT hiker.  Her repairs held perfectly but the Z 55 disappointed again:  the aluminum stay (which looks like an oversize soda straw) broke, and my son arrived at Red's Meadow with a very uncomfortable pack.  I must add that he is a gentle user of things: car, furniture, clothes last him a long time, so I don't think that the Z 55 feel apart because of rough treatment beyond the demands of the trail.

I met him at Red's Meadow to hike with him for a while, and gave him my Gregory Baltoro 70 (which I love for its fit, and does have a solid aluminum stay).  This pack fitted him the best of any pack so far, and is adequate for his thru hiker needs.  He is very happy with it, and we are hoping that it doesn't have any of the materials/manufacturing deficiencies of the Z 55.

BTW, the belt & harness of the Baltoro are removable.

- Numael