[pct-l] Prehike Exercise

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 09:26:36 CDT 2008

As  you know prehike planning and exercise is very important.  I am in
training  for my 2012 PCT thru hike and would like to pass along some training  tips.

1.   Begin by standing on a comfortable surface where you have plenty of room
at each  side.  With  a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms
straight out from your  sides, & hold them there as long as you  can.

Try  to reach a full minute, & then relax.  Then start walking slowly
increasing your distance up to 5 miles.

2.   Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit
longer  and walk a little longer.

3.   After a couple weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks.

4.   Then try 50-lb. potato sacks.

5.  Then eventually try to get  to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack
in each hand, & hold your  arms straight - I'm  at this level and feel great.

After  you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the  sacks.

Cheers,  Switchback the Trail Pirate, Stinker the Trail Skunk, and Piney the
Hybrid Car  PCT Support Vehicle