[pct-l] Trail routing north of Belden

paulmccready000 at aol.com paulmccready000 at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 10:55:43 CDT 2008

I just began (and ended) section N.? After going 80 miles along the closed PCT, I was stopped by firefighters about 5 miles north of Humboldt Summit, and was forced to reroute.? The fires raging there and eastern blowing winds will only exacerbate the situation.? I'd be surprised if the trail opens within a week.

The 13-mile stretch to Poison Spring is unbearably bad right now.? The soaring temperatures and humidity from the smoke of the fire 6 miles west of Belden make the first 7 miles a hellish trek.? The trail from Belden to Myrtle Flat Camp is accurate, as far as I can tell, although shade is nonexistent for the first 4 miles and the trail is overgrown with shrubs, flies, and rattlesnakes.? As you probably know, the Williams Cabin has been burned to ashes.? After Myrtle Flat, from what I hazily recall, you meander west for a few miles through dense forest, crossing many streams (water is no problem).? Then, the trail curves southward and makes its first crossing of Chips Creek.? Be wary; the crossing is dangerous and difficult, the boulders sparse and quite slippery.? After crossing, you head west through forest for a short time before crossing Chips again, this time without any boulders for stepping stones (I scrambled across a fallen log).? After this, you make a brief climb northwest through forest, then switchbacking up a rocky, treeless slope, and eventually emerging into a large, gorgeous meadow with a few streamlets.? Cairns guide your path through this part, and I had no problem finding the trail.? The trail heads north through the meadow, then makes wide, easy-graded switchbacks up ~500 vertical feet through sparse red fir forest.? The trail then goes through a bouldery area before coming to the wide lumber road.? I didn't see Poison Spring when I did this stretch, but the logging road is easily recognized.? I never had any problems finding the trail; it is easily seen, even in the meadows, and there are cairns to guide you along ambiguous lengths.? Water is plentiful after the first four miles.? Hope this helps.

Paul