[pct-l] Bear Canister Controversy....''The Bud Solution''

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Jul 2 01:06:39 CDT 2008

Jim,
It does not matter, we would be in compliance with the ''Proper Bear Precaution'' regulation.
I never feel dehydrated when I'm drinking beer....I get dehydrated when I stop drinking.
I don't know about this...''beer is not good for you when you are exercising.''
Michael Popov & Aaron Sorensen hauled a keg size container of beer all the way up to Trail camp,
to do some serious pre-hike calorie stocking.
Next day they took off on their JMT record attempt and Michael set a new unsupported record.
Seems to me like pre-stocking all those liquid calories worked out well for him.

Nathan, substituting nourishing trail drinks for beer in the keg is an option...however, I am
a ''Bud'' man....nothing, to quench a thirst, like a ''Bud'' on a hot day.
Besides, I just came up with a...''BRILLIANT IDEA''...I bet Bush, Bud, Miller and all the
other breweries would fight and pay handsome for the advertising rights....''HIKERS POWERED
BY BUD or by BUSH set new PCT record.''
They would fight for the right to maintain beer catches along the PCT to supply hungry and
thirsty hikers with all their liquid calorie needs.
Good by pots & pans, stove & fuel, bear canister,backpacker food & warm water...refreshing
liquid calories, here we come.

JMT Reinhold

 -------------------------

/
>>/ Since the  ''Beer  Keg'' is bear proof,  our liquid calories would be
/>>/ safe and we would be in full compliance.
/
>/I don't see any beer kegs on the 'approved container' list...
/(The "Bear Keg" does NOT come with a tap/pump, either!)
<http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm>...
You would NOT be in full compliance!

/
>/Sorry, it sounds good, but alcohol (yes, even beer) is a diuretic - NOT good for you while 'exercising'...
/<http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/17/1676_51853.htm>...
IMHO and experience, dehydrated hikers have not been "jovial" whatsoever...
Save the beer drinking for town stops or maybe a can from trail 'magic' locations...   ;-)

Why must one put beer into such a keg?  Why not simply replace the beer with a nourishing trail drink?  Such a drink could have the necessary ratio of carbs and protein.  Just put the keg on top of your pack, attach a Platypus hose and you're good to go!  You can sip while you hike and get your hydration and your calories and your protein and your other nutrition all at the same time!  At the end of the day, remove the hose and insert a locking, bear-proof cap into the hole and be anti-bear-compliant, too!

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR