[pct-l] report from hike to Monument 78 yesterday

Connie Davis conniedavis at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 22:01:55 CDT 2008

Mongous and I hiked to Monument 78 and placed a new trail register
for the 2008 season in the monument.  The trail is in decent shape,
no snow to the monument. There are a few blow-downs on the way from
the PCT camp to the bridge across Castle Creek. I crawled under one
and over the others. The mosquitoes are horrendous!  We didn't see
any new security paraphernalia along the border swath.

The PCT camp on the Canada side is in great shape, with a new floor
in the outhouse and a great fire ring with a view.

At the trailhead there are currently signs up saying the trail is
closed because a bear is in the area.  We figured that didn't apply
to PCT hikers who aren't going to be in the area long enough to have
a problem.  There is bear sign down in the valleys, but none up high.

We hiked out via Mt Frosty--What a view!!  All in all, with the side
trips, we did about 30 miles in 26 hours, not bad for 2 out of shape
members of the Class of 2005!

Happy trails,
Lookout