[pct-l] Alternate route across Northern Yosemite

Ken Roberts ken at morethanamile.com
Tue Jul 1 20:58:29 CDT 2008

An alternate route across Northern Yosemite was mentioned a while back.
I am hoping to be in the neighborhood in early September, and got to
looking at some maps. Going Northward, this route leaves the PCT at
Matterhorn Creek, and rejoins the PCT at Walker River. This possible
alternate route travels across the northern boundary of Yosemite Park.
It travels right by Matterhorn Peak which I have read can be climbed
from some direction. It looks like an interesting alternative, but the PCT is
pretty spectacular here also.  Any one familiar spend much time in this area?

Take the numbers with a grain of salt and a twist of lime, but to me this
alternate route
looks to run about 500 ft higher on average, it is about 10 miles shorter,
and has about 15% less
up and down stuff.

Miles					Elevation
0.0	Matterhorn Creek (PCT)		8,500