[pct-l] Brand names

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Jan 30 18:03:38 CST 2008

"It should be mandatory, that anyone talking gear, be it "20 batteries" for
cheap, "my other camera", my "other headlamp", or my new "GPS" should HAVE
to give details....brand names, places to buy the stuff, etc."

Hmm, I can think of some mandatory requirements for the list too, but I bet
they would be different than your list of mandatory things . <g>

Seriously, I didn't provide the specific place I bought my batteries because
I didn't do any deep research to determine whether I used the best option.
And in fact, I've not USED any of those batteries yet --- haven't had to
thus far.  A very simple internet search for the type of battery needed, in
the case of the e+lite these are CR 2032's, will yield a variety of places
to buy from.

I happened to have bought mine from a place called "Infinite Lights"
(www.infinitelights.com).  My order was over $12 so the shipping charge was
waived, and there was no sales tax charged.
If I recall correctly, I paid a bit more to get one of two brand name
batteries, rather than a no-name generic.   I have no idea if that was worth
doing or not, just the impulse I followed.
Here's a more direct link:
http://www.infinitelights.com/cr2032batteries.html

FWIW, they sent my Sony brand batteries.

In terms of "my other camera", I was referring to the Kodak EasyShare V570
Dual Lens Camera; here's my review:
http://tinyurl.com/j3hvd

I bought this camera over 2 years ago, so likely this exact model isn't
available, but something similar might still be (?).
It's not a good choice for a thru-hiker, because it uses a proprietary
battery.

Hmm, anything else you wanted details on?  Oh, the headlamp that takes a
single AAA battery.  Again, I have no knowledge of this apart from what
their website says, and again, a web search will turn this up, but I was
referring to this:
http://www.e-headlamps.com/cmg_tracer.asp
Hmm, though looking just now, I see there's another model that also uses a
single AAA, here:
http://www.amazon.com/Coast-LED-Lenser-Micro-Headlamp/dp/B000COTSSY

The reason I was interested in a single AAA wasn't that I particularly like
minimal light <g>, but my sense is that batteries are a large percentage of
the weight of a lightweight headlamp.

	Brian Lewis