[pct-l] A backpack conundrum

Robert W. Freed robert at engravingpros.com
Wed Jan 30 15:22:53 CST 2008

You know, I actually found that my sore shoulders came more from friction than from the weight of the pack. Last year I switched to a two shirt system. A 60/40 poly cotton shirt over a 100% polyester sports shirt. This completely eliminated the straps friction against my skin and thus the whole sore shoulder issue for me. Perhaps it is time for me to try out the Jam Pack again?

  Robert

hiker97 at aol.com wrote:
  Wheeeeeew writes: I so completely agree with using a pack with some suspension.  I can't imagine carrying a pack that rests on the shoulders instead of the hips.  I would be fatigued in no time.  I don't know how other hikers do it, even to save a lb or two off the pack weight.  Nicht!!!!
Switchback replies: Actually, with my Unified Field Theory of Backpacking and the new Ultra Light Plus (with waist pack) system that I invented, your pack is under 20 pounds almost on all occasions.  It carries very nicely without a hip belt.