[pct-l] Medical Help For Your Gear

G. Lowe aka Wheeew gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 22:04:05 CST 2008

Len,

I have not heard of that tape.  I did google it, and can't tell much from the pics, as the tape is rolled up in all the pics.  Have you used it and if so, how did you like it?  It does seem to be quite narrow.  Does it come in other widths?

You did make me remember another medical product I'd like to mention tho.  It is called "Coban" and it is a wonderful stretchy wrap that sticks to itself when pressed together.  It is one of my favorite medical products.  I am thinking about "sealing" the top of my socks in the desert, by wrapping it around my leg and the top of the socks to keep the sand out.  It is very thin, light and re-usable.  It is very strong, yet rips easily without scissors.  Both Medipore and Coban are made by 3M.

Just a quick visual comparing the two tapes, I can see benefits to both.  Again, I like the Medipore because it can be ripped to any size and goes around corners.  It also comes in various sizes.  Another great med product that would work for wounds on the trail, is Tegaderm.  These are clear lightweight adhesive dressings that would also work very well on blisters, etc.  Because they are so thin, I don't believe they would "roll" as easily as bandaids and some tapes which of course renders them useless.  The other benefit is that, since they're clear you can closely monitor the wound for signs of infection, etc.  They too come in various sized sheets and can be cut to any size or configuration. Each sheet is individually wrapped.  I usually carry one large one and one small one on the trail, just in case.

I'm also wondering if everyone knows how to care for a strain/ sprain.  If using an Ace wrap, you would want to wrap it in such a way that you're forming an "X" over the injured area.  This configuration gives the joint the most support.  Say for instance you were having knee problems....you'd wrap the Ace around your thigh, just above your knee, in a regular circle- once.  Then you'd start crossing down over the knee, around the back of your calf, and then up across the knee again coming in on the opposite side.  This forms an "X".  Continue this method, moving down several inches with each "X" wrap, until you run out of Ace wrap.  It is then best to secure it with a safety pin- not those silly clips that come with the Ace.  If you MUST use the clips, put a piece of adhesive tape/ duct tape/ Medipore/ whatever, over the clips.  (One piece for both clips).  This helps keep the clips secure and the Ace from unraveling.

Last thing: a sprain/ strain should ALWAYS be treated with COLD....not HEAT!!.  Heat increases the inflammation to the area, cold reduces it.  Soak in a cold stream if possible.  A bag of frozen veggies (peas, corn) etc. work very well as a makeshift ice bag.  Do not put them directly on the skin.  Wrap once with an Ace around the injury, then secure the bag in place with the rest of the Ace.  Elevate the injury if possible.  Take NSAIDS, if available (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), IMMEDIATELY when injured, also extremely important to take them just before going to bed, and again just before getting up in the morning.  This gives the meds the chance to work while you sleep and in the morning before you start hiking.   It helps to keep the inflammation/ damage from extending.  My absolute favorite is Aleve, which is a brand of Naproxen.  I wouldn't go on a hike without it.  And again, the timing of taking these drugs for an injury is imperative.  These drugs don't
 bother me at all, but they upset some people's stomachs.  I take them with food, just to be on the safe side.

I promise NOT to lauch into a full blown online description of how to perform CPR on a hiker in full blown cardiac arrest.........eeeekkkk!!

Wheeew

Lon Cooper <loncooper at gmail.com> wrote: Wheeew, I am curious if you have ever used Leukotape P sports tape and
if so how it compares to Medipore? Leukotape is pretty sticky stuff
and works well on feet.

-Lon

On Jan 29, 2008 5:05 PM, G. Lowe aka Wheeew  wrote:

> -Medipore tape is a lightweight, fabric-like tape that sticks very well.  It
> has perforations every couple inches, so it goes around curves (ankles,
> toes, etc) very well, and can be easily ripped apart at these
> perforations....no need for scissors.  It also has pores which allow air in,
> therefore wounds heal much better than with, for instance, duct tape.  This
> tape comes in several different sizes.

-Wheeew-
www.trailjournals.com/wheeew/
---->MexiCan----> 2008