[pct-l] Camp Shoes

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 01:29:21 CST 2008

I have never solved this problem.  I have tired.  Every time I go  into to a
place that has a nice shoe section I look for a super light sandal  type shoe
weighs under 3 ounces each shoe.  Having a camp shoe is a nice  luxury.  I do
not like to running around camp in my hiking footwear, unless  it is hiking
sandals.

I want a sandal type camp shoe, so my toes and feet can relax and dry  out.
I want something big to protect my feet from sticks, etc.  I  want something
that holds my foot to the sandal by wrapping across my foot,  instep, and
behind my ankle for a secure ride.  Here is what I have come up  with at 2.7 ounces
each shoe - this is size 11.

1.  Go to mean old Walmart and buy some cheap foam sandals.  The  kind you
would use in a shower.

2.  Take some Velcro straps and cut them so you can wrap around your  foot
for extra holding power.  This done by simply slipping the straps  under the
foam sandal's straps that go between your toes and along the sides of  your foot.
 Slip the Velcro under the sandal straps where they attach to  the sole at
the side of the foot.  Then wrap the Velcro around the top of  your instep/foot
and secure.  Very simple.

This is not exactly like I want, but it is close.  This provides a  much
better foot holding to the sandal than just the straps that come with the  sandal.
 It is light and effective around camp.

If I take camp sandals on a hike, I have to carry them outside of my  pack.
I just take the Velcro I am using anyway and attach them.   No problem at all.

Thank you for your attention.  Switchback the  Cobbler