[pct-l] zero on the trail

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Sun Jan 27 16:17:48 CST 2008

Hi, Casey!

>From our point of view, zeros on trail are one of the reasons why hike, period!

It is so much fun knowing that you have it in your schedule to take a day off whenever you find a place you don't want to hurry away from. Take a day, cool the jets, soak up some sun, climb a few trees, boulder your way up and down from that peak over there, catch up in your journal, dry out.

So, carry more food. You may only be doing this trip once in your lifetime, so soak it up, take your time, if you can.

Taking the time to pound off trail, hitch out and back, only to face a climb up to the trail to continue the journey again has never been considered a resupply method of choice when we're out there to enjoy the wilderness. Do what you have to do, but you can choose to carry more food that will get you to that better on-trail resupply point (road crossing, ranger station, resort, etc.) if you so want; the only seemingly negative is a heavier pack. However, if it is your priority to stay on-trail, a little extra weight may save the time and energy spent on the town loop to give you more efficient trail time and a lower trip mileage-maybe even another zero! So, try not to go out at all!

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com