[pct-l] how fast do feet change

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Jan 27 10:08:45 CST 2008

Good morning, All,

I totally agree with Geezer.  I also wear 10.5 D in a street shoe, but for
the trail I wear 12 or 12.5 4E.  That didn't change while I was hiking, but
I had booked quite a few training miles so the early-trip foot spread was in
the past.  I usually keep the laces quite loose, and rarely untie them for
removal.  On long downhill trails I sometimes tighten the laces to prevent
jamming my toes foreword, but with a wide toe-box the laces can be tighter
and still not squeeze my forefoot.

Just as Geezer describes, I started using a stop-knot about half way up the
lace pattern back in the days when I worked for the USFS.  I was wearing the
typical lace-to-the-toe boots, which are touted to be great because the toe
lacing could be left loose while the ankle and top lacing were snug.  That
works great .... for approximately 10 steps .... after which the lace
tension equalizes and the toe becomes too tight while the ankle becomes too
loose.  I put a stop-knot in the middle to prevent such silliness. The only
thing I did differently was to us something like a surgeon's knot, except I
did a double turn on the second half of the knot as well as the first half.
That knot holds well, and is much more easily untied when necessary.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Join other hikers at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^