[pct-l] cougars in San Gabriels

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Jan 26 13:12:44 CST 2008

I was sleeping on sand high up near a pass in the Enchantments in
Washington, a dozen or so miles east of the PCT.  I awoke and got up and
stumbled around preparing to make coffee.  I went back to my sleeping
bag and noticed some indentations six inches behind where my head had
been resting all night long.  I looked closely and there were two paw
prints about three and a half or four inches across.  I took pictures of
them, wide awake at this point, waking everyone else up and insisting
they look at the cougar prints.  Apparently it had come up behind me and
put its front feet down in the sand and sniffed my head as I slept.  I
took them to a wildlife biologist friend when I got back to Seattle and
he confirmed they were cougar prints...

Jeff, just Jeff...