[pct-l] guide books

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:47:01 CST 2008

Ben,

I would highly recommend Yogi's PCT handbook for preparation:
http://www.pcthandbook.com/
Unfortunately, it is out of stock until the end of February, but that would
still leave you plenty of time to develop your resupply strategy.  That
said, regardless of how much you strategize for resupply, you are bound to
hit a couple snags and will have to make adjustments along the way.

The most commonly used books seem to be:

1.  The Pacific Crest Trail - Southern California (Mexican Border to
Tuolumne Meadows) (2003)
     -
http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Northern-California/dp/0899973175/

2.  The Pacific Crest Trail - Northern California (Tuolumne Meadows to
Oregon Border) (2003)
     -
http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Southern-California/dp/0899973167/

3.  The Pacific Crest Trail - Oregon and Washington
     -
http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Washington-California/dp/0899973752

4.  Pacific Crest Trail Data Book (2005)
     - http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Data-Book/dp/0899973698

In fact, when I spoke with Yogi in Cascade Locks this past summer, I asked
her whether her PCT hand book was sufficient to hike the PCT alone or
whether she recommended the Schaffer books (items 1-3).  She told me that
the Schaffer books were a necessity and that even after hiking the trail
multiple times, there are still areas where she needed to refer to the map.

Another book, that is due to be released this spring is The Pacific Crest
Trail Atlas.
  - See http://www.pctatlas.com/ for sample pages.

Be well,

Senator