[pct-l] Jerky on the Trail

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 22:11:48 CST 2008

If you can find a nice meat market in your town, they usually make "homemade" jerky in various flavors.  This is a lot better than the "store" bought jerky.  Here is a neat trick to keep your jerky fresh on the trail.  Keep it in an air tight jar with a piece of apple.  The apple keeps the jerky fresh a lot longer.  I have been deep in the Sierras and my jerky was fresh and tasty days after I bought it.  Of course, I do not eat much meat anymore, so I do not carry jerky anymore on the trail.  :-(

Switchback the Jerk....y