[pct-l] Hiking in 2008: Roper's High Route,Food

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Wed Jan 23 19:30:04 CST 2008

As pointed out, the High Route (for those who don't know, it's mostly
cross country, with some class 2-3 passes) will take longer but be more
spectacular. The downside to taking longer is you will have to either
carry more food (which is more difficult climbing cross country) or
resupply more often. Also, as thruhikers are usually in the Sierra
earlier than most backpackers, you will have more snow than the usual
High Route trekker. Personally, I'd save the High Route for another trip
when I could slow down and enjoy it more rather than deal with the
pressure of getting to Canada before winter, but that's just me and I
live in So Cal. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip to California, you
may feel differently. Of course, HYOH (or not).

AsABat