[pct-l] Hiking in 2008: rain gear, pacerpoles and Roper's High Route, Food

David Huck david.huck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:35:13 CST 2008

I've been lurking for a couple weeks now so I guess its time to speak
up. First, I was surprised by what issues seem to get people going on
this list. The questions I have will hopefully not be too
controversial though.

Rain Gear:
I currently have an Arcteryx lightweight goretext jacket that I got on
sale from REI years ago. It works ok, but has the usual problem of
body moisture condensing and the fact that after extended exposure to
rain in the backcountry the DWR coating stops working and the jacket
is even less effective. Around town I use a cheap Helly  Hansen jacket
which works at least as well as the arcteryx one for biking and even
(as I discovered yesterday) hiking in the rain. However, I was
thinking that a poncho that covers pack and hiker might work better,
allowing more air flow. I'd still be using liner bags, but after
backpacking in Georgia during the hurricane fallout in 2004 (a week of
straight downpour, three times that summer), I'd like to really try
and be "dry." So opinions on poncho's vs. frogg toggs (look really
sweet) vs. expensive jacket. I will be bringing a rain skirt instead
of pants. I love skirts.

Pacerpoles:
Anyone tried them? I like the idea behind regular poles but have never
found them really comfortable, thought maybe science might have made a
breakthrough with these.

Steve Roper's Sierra High Route:
I hiked parts of this when I did the JMT with some friends last
summer. It was by far the best part of the trip. Has anyone ever heard
of PCT hikers doing parts of this as an alternate route? The specific
part I'd consider would be leaving from Red's Meadow/Devil's Postpile,
up to Minaret Lake (on trail), and then hiking on the Western side of
1000 island lake (off trail) over N. Glacier Pass (Mt. Ritter) and
over the other Forester pass above lake merced to bring me into the
valley. It took us 5 days without any acclimation carrying packs that
weighed way too much (probably close to 45 lbs). My only concern would
be if the snow in those high passes would be impassable, it is all off
trail between Minaret Lake and the other side of Forester Pass (not
the one near Whitney!).

Food:
I love eating and cooking, especially while backpacking. I'm trying to
find a way of doing some "simmering" using an alcohol stove, any
specific design that works better? I am thinking about ways to still
manage to cook grains that take 5 mins of simmer / rest in hot water /
final 5 mins of simmer. Any ideas? Also, on a side note, I'm presently
attempting to make pemmican (the real kind, not the brand of jerky).
If it works, and keeps well, I may take it on the trail. I intend on
doing some resupply drops for socal and then think twice when I go
home after KM for my bro's graduation if I want to keep mailing food
at all.

Thanks for any help rendered while I get back to rendering (fat),

David