[pct-l] cell phones

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:20:58 CST 2008

I used it in my time in Colorado and the battery lasted quite a long
time if you used it carefully. Turn off wifi in the woods, turn the
brightness alllll the way down and only use it in the shade or at
night (don't really have time to send or receive e-mail or SMS or make
calls unless its sunset anyway), make sure it doesn't check e-mail
unless you tell it to, turn off vibrate function (spinning that
vibrate weight takes more energy than playing a tone) and turn it off
if you aren't using it and you can easily have the battery last a week
to ten days using it an hour or so around sundown per day. At some
point in that range of time you'll undoubtedly have to head into town
to resupply and it only takes about an hour to charge it from almost
dead battery to 80% charged, and only another hour or so to get to
full charge... I'm sure you can find an outlet somewhere for two hours
to recharge while you're supplying (I was able to in Colorado and
that's more remote than the PCT...)

Anyway, that's my strategy. I considered a solar charger but it didn't
seem worth the weight when I just do what I did on the CDT.