[pct-l] Handsfree Umbrella Holder

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 07:51:43 CST 2008

farber51 at msn.com writes: Is there a good hands free umbrella holder out there?  And does anyone know where can I get one or how to make one?
Switchback replies: Yes, Switchback's World Famous Ultra Light Handsfree Umbrella Holder.  You just go to a large hardware store and get some gray foam pipe installation (comes in 6 foot lengths). Get the thicker sided kind.  Just cut it to fit your umbrella shaft (it is already cut down one side to fit over a pipe).  Then use some Velcro straps (One Wrap is good) to attach it to your pack shoulder strap.  I like to adjust mine, so the edge of the umbrella is about at my eye brow level.  The holder weighs around an ounce.  The idea is to give the umbrella shaft something to make it thicker to attach to the shoulder strap.

To take it off, just undo the Velcro straps and slip off the foam tube and fold up the umbrella to store in your pack.  I have a 5 ounce solar umbrella that I can fold up as I walk if I hit some strong winds.  This is VERY nice to have.