[pct-l] cellphone (and ham radio link)

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Jan 23 01:18:59 CST 2008

I agree that this is challenging.  There is or shortly will be no longer the
distinction of digital vs. analog, but maybe CDMA/TDMA have different
characteristics than GSM, and individual phones might vary in terms of how
much signal strength they get from the same carrier at the same location at
the same time (?), etc.

Still, a "best approximation" would be a lot better than ad hoc & random
very small data samples.   Part of the value IMO is that it's not just about
the hiker, but about the comfort level and expectations for their home
support unit.

I definitely looked at the various cell phone coverage areas in selecting my
carrier.  I knew I wanted a GSM phone, so that limited me to T-Mobile or
AT&T, and from punching in a selection of interesting zip codes to each, I
came to the conclusion that AT&T might be better.

To further strain the value of a collected list, I later found out the
AT&T's "pay as you go" (called 'Gophone') has a different --- a lessor ---
coverage map than does their contract plans.  It's like it's two different
companies, but with the same name.

I'll be doing a couple hundred miles of section A starting later this week
(actually more like the same hundred miles twice); I'll see if I can
remember to test and record coverage there a few times ...

	Brian Lewis