[pct-l] mountains

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Mon Jan 21 19:16:09 CST 2008

Great post, Mark.

I would add this:  Hiking on crevassed glaciers should never be done
alone.  The safe way to travel on a glacier is roped up to two other
people, with everyone in the party having the skills to do ice axe
arrest and crevasse rescue (should one of the party fall into a crevasse).

Rainier's standard routes are glacier climbs.  There's one route, Fuher
Finger (sp.?), that may avoid glaciers, but you have to deal with very
steep snow instead.

I don't know Hood, whether there's a route to the summit on the south
side that avoids glacier or not.

If you want to do any of these, do your homework, research the route you
plan to do and if you need technical skills, equipment, and competent
partners, make sure you have all of those with you on the climb.

Good luck!

Greg