[pct-l] other mountains?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Jan 21 18:05:03 CST 2008

Good afternoon MoonDog,

Even though I live 25 miles from the summit of Mt. Hood, I highly recommend Mt. Thielsen which is near the PCT just north of Crater Lake.  At 9,100 ft. it's not nearly as high as its Cascade brethren, and it's not glaciated, but for it is hard to beat for satisfaction.  The summit pinnacle of Thielsen is quite steep, although I climbed it as a walk-up.  What I like best is the space on the summit .... or rather the lack of space.  The top of that rock is just about big enough to park a VW.  Don't even think about it if lightening is a possibility as the summit has numerous small patches of fused rock that looks like obsidian.

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Photos_Thielsen_Summit_sm.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Thielsen

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Join other hikers at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^