[pct-l] Writing and the PCT

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Jan 19 16:45:43 CST 2008

I know I really appreciate good writing.  I read novels that hook me -
mystery for the most part.  Airport novels.  But I intrinsically want
more.  There are numerous books out talking about hiking the PCT or CDT.

What I would love to see is a story that makes hiking, the physical
trials, the beauty of nature, the mechanics of hiking lightweight, or
ultralight, or as Warner Springs Monty does, ultra-ultra-lightweight -
make this reality background to a real narrative that has a catharsis.

By catharsis I mean, "The term in drama refers to a sudden emotional
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion> breakdown or climax that
constitutes overwhelming feelings of great sorrow, pity, laughter or any
extreme change in emotion that results in the restoration, renewal and
revitalization for living."  This comes from Wikipedia.  For a deeper
understanding, go to Aristotle's "Poetic."

Zero days was a totally enjoyable read.  But it didn't have a
catharsis.  There was no extreme transformation.  Cindy Ross's book
pushed up against a catharsis, but in the end, romanticism triumphed.  I
think it did.  I read it eight y ears ago.  None of the books written by
men come close to achieving catharisis...

I would love to see the trail serve as the kind of breakthrough War and
Peace had.  Hiking the trail as background to clash of hiking styles,
love interest, the role of free choice in all three, motivations to hike
the trail, and the tension of class evidenced in one of the threads of
the last couple weeks.

You know what?  Lovebarge comes to mind as the mythic character around
which a set of narratives could be built...

Jeff, just Jeff...