[pct-l] hygeine tips

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Fri Jan 18 22:26:42 CST 2008

Sure you are going to get dirty on the trail.
but lack of cleaning isn't just an appearance or comfort issue -- it is
a health issues, and one that could interrupt or even end you hike.

One needs to clean with soap and water or other cleanser your hands
after relieving yourself. If not you increase your chance of
gastro-intestinal disease. On the trail I always put out my soap and
water on a rock away from water sources before heading off to relieve
myself. Then I use my left hand to pour water on my right (dirty) hand
and add soap and then rub both hands together to clean them.

Similarly, you must keep your cooking and eating utensils clean or you
risk food poisoning or other problems. Usually in the evening, I cleaned
my utensils, then boiled a little water in my pot with the lid on and my
other utensils in it to somewhat sterilize everything. It has always
been enough to keep me from getting sick. Sometimes also I used the hot
water for my evening coffee or tea.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>