[pct-l] lame, entitlements

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 18 16:22:25 CST 2008

AsABat wrote:

I noticed more hikers that were not doing it on the cheap this year. IMO
that's good, as it spreads money around the trail towns. I understand
cheap - I'm an accountant - but I'm glad I can enjoy a nice meal or a
soft bed in town.

That makes a lot of sense.  The generous expenditure of money goes a LONG way toward earning and maintaining goodwill in the trail towns along the PCT.  The problem comes in when folks perceive PCT hikers to be cheapskate freeloaders who expect that the rules are different for them just because they happen to be walking a lot that summer.  Of course the _vast majority_ of PCT hikers are thoughtful, generous, and responsible, but I have absolutely no patience with those who are not.  It takes a lifetime to earn goodwill and only a moment to blow the whole thing.

Eric