[pct-l] one person's lame, another person's... (+ more topics!)

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Fri Jan 18 16:13:57 CST 2008

I read both Roni's and Meadow Ed's comments on the Yahoo List and would suggest if they are looking for a description of lame, they should both look in the mirror.  I find it pathetic that Roni would suggest that social interaction is factor in defining "lame".  For some of us, social interaction was not a primary factor in choosing to hike and to suggest that those of us that preferred a more solitary hike is ridiculous.

Additionally, Meadow Ed and others have on several occasions taken the actions of a small number of 2006 hikers and sterotyped this behavior to the class of 2006 hikers.  Again, this is ridiculous.  While I was near the front of the pack and did not encounter any of this behavior I suspect that with the year-by-year increase in hiker counts this isolated behavior is going to continue to proliferate.

I like the idea that this topic be one of discussion at ADZ, but again, I would guess that less than 50% of the thru-hikers for a given year choose to attend ADZ.  In 2006, I was surprised to meet a number of hikers along the trail that had no clue about ADZ or the PCT-L or Trail Journals for that matter.

Just my opinion.  This is not a personal flame against Roni or ME, just an opinion that differs significantly.

Elevator pct2006

From: mark v <allemande6 at yahoo.com>