[pct-l] Ray Jardine

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 15:45:01 CST 2008

It really doesn't matter much if the guy is pleasant or not to be around when it comes to evaluating his contributions to the sport backpacking.  The fact is, this is the guy that is generally credited with popularizing the light weight style of hiking.

  On my section hike in 2001, when I ran into thru hikers, they kept mentioning his name.  When I got home and did some internet searches, the transformation from the 30+ pound base gear load I carried had begun (I bottomed out for my 2003 section from Stevens Pass up to Stehekin at ~12 lb).  The general techniques of light weight hiking lead directly to my successful completion of the PCT in 06.

  Besides hiking, (for better or worse) the guy revolutionized technical rock climbing (as generally being credited) with the invention of the spring loaded camming device (SLCD) - "Friends" as he called them when testing out the prototypes, and now commonly referred to by the generic term "Cams".  These allow clean, secure protection to be placed into parallel sided cracks that previously were unprotectable, or could only be protected by using pitons which permanently scarred the rock.  This innovation opened up previously unclimbable routes (at least by the non-suicidal) and made climbing a lot more safe and practical for 'mere mortal' climbers like myself.

  Bottom line, what ever the personality of the guy, if you like him or not, he's made an indelible mark (for the better in my opinion) on at least 2 major out door sports I enjoy.

  Token Civilian
  Mex-Can 06