[pct-l] Ray Jardine

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 08:58:25 CST 2008

Bob,
Good to hear from you!  Hey, thought I would post this, although it is not directly related to Ray.  On my 2006 thru-hike, I had reached the trailhead above Etna and threw out my thumb to catch a ride.  The first vehicle to stop by was a Jeep Cherokee with 2 women inside.  Listo was also at the trailhead and they offered us a ride into Etna.  Shortly after we began driving, the woman driving the vehicle asked if i we knew Ray Jardine.  Thank goodness I didn't pop off in my usual way about ultra-light packing as it turns out the woman was Ray's sister in law and I am sure I would have offended her if I had spoken out.

Anyhow, it was my only connection to the whole ultra-light way of doing things  so I thought I would share.

elevator

From: "Robert E. Riess" <robert.riess at charter.net>

First, the disclaimer:  I have no long distance hiking credentials whatsoever, and I have never met nor have I read Ray Jardine.  But I did overhear something at the ADZPCTKO a few years back while 30 of my favorite volunteers were peeling 200 lbs of potatoes.  A woman hiker was saying to another woman, "You know, when you are cold and tired and wet and your feet hurt and it's too far to your next campsite, just remember, it could be worse.  You could be Jardine's wife."  Bob Riess ADZPCTKO 99-07