[pct-l] Campo-Laguna report

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 01:45:02 CST 2008

Hi everybody.  I did this early start to my hike
mostly expecting it would convince me that thru-hiking
the trail this year is a stupid idea for me, but i
think it had the opposite effect.  I'm hooked.
Anyway, i'll start up my trail journal (markv) on
trailjournals this weekend, but for now my water
reports:

The creeklet at 4.3 was running an inch or 2 deep,
about one foot across.

Hauser Creek was dry.

Lake Morena drinking fountain was on.

Cottonwood Creek was dry at the bridge, but plenty of
unpleasant-looking water to be found in it at mile 26.
 Floating garbage...no reason to drink since

Boulder Oaks Campground faucets were on.  Wide-mouth
Nalgene fills at 1 liter per second.  Small-mouth
Dasani plastic bottle fills at 1 liter per 1.6
seconds.

Kitchen Creek was running very well, but looked like a
pain to scramble down to.

Fred Canyon Creek was dry.

Long Canyon was flowing well at about 3 or 4 inches
deep, 2 feet across.  Narrower but faster flow at the
ford.

I didn't check Burnt Rancheria.  The water faucet and
cistern faucet on the Desert View Trail were off, and
the Desert View Picnic area fountain was off, but
water was on in the bathroom sink.

I'm glad i didn't read all the stuff about illegal
border crossers until AFTER my hike.  I slept right on
the trail at about Mile 10.  Wasn't disturbed.  The
next night was kept up by a lot of border patrol noise
at Boulder Oaks.  Anyways, for more info check my
journal after the weekend.  I just may be going to
Canada this year...