[pct-l] hiding from Illegals

G. Lowe aka Wheeew gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 10:27:23 CST 2008

I would hope that pct-l posters would never be so unkind as to imply that ANY question does not merit a respectful reply.....especially to solo female hikers whose concerns may be quite different from young, strong male hikers.

Wheeew

Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com> wrote: There area  few subjects that frankly get way more attention than it should on hiking forums.

Cell phones.
Treatment of water
Size of knife (I've seen multipage threads on this item!)
..and on the PCT forum: Illegal immigrants

I am not going to get into the immigration debate. That is a complex subject with valid points on all sides of the argument,  but that is far outside of the scope of PCT discussion.

Concerning illegals on the PCT: It is a very minor issue. They are trying to avoid getting detected. I'd very surprised if you see any during the day. As Mike Saenz stated, the actual part of the trail in "illegal territory" is rather small.

Just go on the hike, enjoy the scenery (you just may catch some awesome desert wildflowers!) and worry about real concerns for PCT hikers: Mainly does the Laguna country store have enough ice cream when you get there? :D

If you are STILL worried about illegals, then carry this Nalgene for a little while:
http://www.bottlesintranslation.com/products.shtml   ;)

-Wheeew-
www.trailjournals.com/wheeew/
---->MexiCan----> 2008