[pct-l] Portland Chapter - Pacific Crest Trail AssociationWinter Meeting

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Jan 16 08:39:30 CST 2008

Good morning, Len,

In addition to wonderfully entertaining "Ooooh, Aaaaah," shows, Jonathan has
made various photo-tech related presentations as well.  One I remember was
at the ALDHA-West Gathering at Donner Pass in the fall of  '04.  Sometimes
he starts with an incredibly good image .. one I could only dream of
capturing .. which he begins to subtly enhance with high-end photo editing
software:  A contrast here, a hue there, a brightness change, certainly some
cropping, etc, all noticeable, but small changes.  Finally, he
double-screens the result with the original.  Incredible!

Clearly, a viewer can't expect to learn to use a complex, full-featured
editing program by watching him for an hour or so, but significantly, one
can learn some of the possibilities.  Similarly, a viewer couldn't learn to
be a great photographer by watching a presentation, but they could certainly
learn more than a few things to do and things to avoid.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^