[pct-l] safety on the trail

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 22:08:11 CST 2008

Well said, Donna.  I had the pleasure of spending a day with Jane and Flicka at White Pass, WA in 1995 and was conducting a running correspondence with Jane as they went south. Imagine my shock when Jane's mother wrote to inform me of the tragedy that had befallen these two gentle, young souls. I remember that the medical school that Flicka was attending granted him and honorary posthumous MD degree when his class graduated. For the memoriam by the PCTA, please see

http://www.pcta.org/about_pcta/history/rodman.asp

11/19/95. Jane and Flicka Rodman were killed by a motorist who fell asleep at the wheel as they walked along Highway 138 near Palmdale. They had nearly completed the 2,600 mile traverse of the Pacific Crest Trail after beginning their PCT hike at the Canadian border in July 1995. They had reluctantly decided to use Highway 138 as a brief detour to catch up with fellow hikers and make it home by Christmas. They had walked every foot of the PCT up until then, crossing numerous streams and snowy areas. The couple had previously walked the 2,150 mile Appalachian Trail.

Addendum: Flicka had proposed to Jane atop Mt Katahdin when they finished their AT hike. The PCT was their honeymoon trek.