[pct-l] aluminum vs steel ice axe head

kris kks202 at excite.com
Mon Jan 14 15:49:26 CST 2008

Still looking for people's opinions on brands/models of ice axes.  Want to buy it soon for a practice trip up to the Grubb hut in Feb.

Thanks
Kris

My favorite bear story:

So I'm sitting in Kern Hot springs soaking my brains out, and have my lunch in my pack and everything else in my bear vault, and something in me says "stand up".  Kern hot springs is right on the river and has a privacy fence to sheild you from the trail: basically you can't hear or see anything.  What do I see but a cinnamon brown bear loping down the trail.  Had I not stood up at that moment I would have seen his/her face peeking over the fence a meter away from my face, and may have been out a pack and a lunch, and sequoia [eventually] out a bear.  So assume that a bear will come along any moment!