[pct-l] bear cannister?

Craig Stanton craigstanton at mac.com
Mon Jan 14 13:17:03 CST 2008

Definitely carry one. I was shocked by the discussions last year
showing people were so focused on finding a way to avoid paying the
fine or getting caught they had forgotten the reason the requirements
were there. Whether there is a fine or rangers enforcing it is not
the point. If a bear gets your food he'll like it, so they'll plan to
get the next person's food and eventually  someone will have to shoot
it.

I carried a bearvault and it was fine. Water isn't a problem in the
sierras so you can carry less and that'll bring your pack weight down.