[pct-l] How do you measure up?--Final conclusion

stewjohns at comcast.net stewjohns at comcast.net
Sun Jan 13 12:58:59 CST 2008

Thanks all for your replies on measuring liquids on the trail.
Of all the suggestions, I liked Patrick Beggans response the best.
Patrick writes:
I keep one nalgene for exactly this reason -- it has ounces
and milliliters marked on the side for cooking/powdered beverages.
Yep, it sure does.  I have a couple, and they are marked just as you say.
I weighed one on my fish scale, and it came in at 3oz.  Not much weight
at all and still usable to carry water in too.  I tried using the scratch a line
method, but I just can't get a line that I can see in poor light.  I'm half blind
anyway, so that method, while quite good, just doesn't work for me.  Plus
what happens if you need an off measurement like 20oz of water.  I know,
I know, I am being very anal about this and over engineering it as someone
said, but hey it's something that I couldn't get out of my head.  I use Switchbacks
method of marking my ziplock bags, and it works great.  For a hot pot or cup filled
with hot chocolate or coffee, the tape would not hold up.  So final solution is to use
the nalgene bottle.  Just one.....please forgive me for the extra weight trail gods.

Doc Holiday