[pct-l] How do you measure up?

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 11:57:15 CST 2008

Just put a piece of clear packing tape over the marker on your cup and it
will last a long time.  I do this with ZipLock bags too.  I mark the  contents
and the weight.  This includes gear items and not just  foods.  I then put a
piece of Scotch Tape over it.  Otherwise, the  markings would rub off.  This
system only costs you an ounce or so in  extra weight.  I do not know if this
would work with a cooking pot because  of the heat.

Plus, you have decent water/dirt protection - not super waterproof, but not
bad.  Also, when I repack my pack, I can easily find where things go.
Simple.  Here is a trick with this system.  Put a large color rubber  band (get a
bag at the office equipment store) around the bag.  This helps  keep it together
if you have packed it a little tight or you want to leave the  top unzipped
to air out something.  You want color rubber bands, so they  are easy to see
around the campsite, etc.

To replace any bags is super cheap.  I recommend you have some quart  and
gallon ZipLock bags, tape and felt marker in your bounce/drift box.

This system works great and I can evaluate items on the trail and if I  think
they weigh too much.  The trail is the best place to do this  evaluation.

Just my two cents worth and what works for me for many years with no
problems.

Switchback the Taper